PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lies, damned lies, and medical renewals
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2023, 09:24
Jhieminga

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver99
170 responses so far
Question 4: If mental health issues remained between you & your GP/personal physician; would you be more willing to take steps to resolve the issues?

Yes: 79%

No: 21%
Perhaps it's just me, but this question is a bit skewed in my view. I have never had to deal with mental health issues (fortunately) and am more than willing to take steps to resolve any issues if they should turn up. So strictly speaking I would have to select 'no' here as this privacy issue would not make me 'more willing'. I am already willing to do this. As you did not define the baseline, the 'more' aspect is ambiguous. It implies that there is something wrong (confidentiality is not assured) and that this needs to change, leading to a lot of 'yes' answers. I selected 'yes' in the end, as I feel that any lack of confidentiality in this department should be adressed, but we should already be able to rely on this.

The question is whether the relationship between GP and patient is seen the same way as the relationship between AME and pilot. I think it should be, and you should tell them the same things, they should handle confidentiality the same way, etcetera. The problem is of course that the outcome is different. One of the two can get you treatment, the other can lose you your medical. I think that is what is reflected in the answers to the first question, and that is a worrying issue.