PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Show of hands - Logging Engine Hours ??
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2023, 19:24
Andrew2487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Show of hands - Logging Engine Hours ??

Evening All....

What is the Correct way of Logging Engine time ?
(Can anyone point me to the CAA Rules regarding this ??)

For the past 14 years I have always Logged my Engine time as "Engine on..... to Engine Off" (I figured this has to be the most accurate / honest way of doing it ??)

However, having just bought another aircraft I noticed one of the previous owners have logged the Engine time using the "Hobbs" type meter built into the RPM Instrument...... i.e Startup @ Hobbs 0576.23 to Shutdown @ Hobbs 0577.16 would be logged as 0.93 Hrs

Which of the above methods is the "Correct / Proper" way of logging it ?

Why am I asking this ?? - I am well aware that the Hobbs meter only records accurate time when the engine is at normal / cruise RPM, and as all flights have normal Warm up / Cool down periods (Low RPM) a typical "1 Hour Engine run" for a 45 minute flight would possibly only show as 50 mins "Engine time" on the Hobbs meter......... in which case it would be quite possible for the Pilots logbook time (Brakes Off to Brakes On) to actually be longer than the Engine Time (if using the Hobbs meter), which would look a bit ropey from an accuracy point of view ?

When I did my PPL training 20 odd years ago..... I was taught to log Engine Hrs as actual time "Engine on to Engine Off"....... Pilots Logbook time as actual time "Brakes Off- Brakes On"..... and Aircraft Time as actual time "Take-Off to Landing".

Any experience from you all, greatly appreciated !