PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone recommend an Independent Financial Advisor?
Old 31st Oct 2023, 17:28
B Fraser
Tabs please !

Received 405 Likes on 242 Posts
There are a number of IFA search websites where you can invite a practitioner to contact you such as Find 27,000 IFAs, Financial Advisers, Mortgage Brokers, Accountants & Bookkeepers (unbiased.co.uk). There is then Register Home Page (fca.org.uk) where you can check their accreditation and background.

I use a chap who is a little bit outside of your area and he has been excellent to far. it appears that there are products that can only be accessed via IFA's and this includes funds managed by some of the biggest household names in the industry.

I'm not in the MOD so don't know if you are in a defined benefit or a defined contribution scheme. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. I have jumped ship a few times so have both. I wrote to my defined benefit scheme and got a transfer value that I thought was excellent. My advisor then told me that they had probably pitched it low to get me to leave it where it is. You need someone with particular training and accreditation to advise you on those.

I hope that is of some help.