PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Huey Incident ?
Thread: Huey Incident ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 14:47
HedgePig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another four cents worth...

Greetings Folks...

I read with interest (as i usually do) the ongoings of this bizarre state of affairs...

I do not wish to detract from what may be VERY serious allegations, including sabotage et al, however, i ask that one small consideration be given as to why this is such a hot topic for ALL in the aviation community.

The CAA promulgated a section (96) allowing the non-millionaires to purchase ex-military aircraft and operate them (limited) on the experimental (ZU) register in a STRICTLY PRIVATE CAPACITY. This is the ONLY country in the world where this happens. This was progressive and very forward thinking by our CAA.

The simple fact that a commercial operator is capitalising on a loophole in the system for gain, where there are other operators respecting the system (well, generally respecting!), does make it an emotional issue.

The chaps at HAMS are an upright crowd, Francois is a really decent bloke, who, like everyone else, just wants to earn an honest wage. Guys like Elvis, feel that the honest wage is where the wheels come off. I have no doubt that HAMS would never allow a Huey to fly in an unsafe condition, thats culpable homicide, problem is, it's STILL a ZU-REG machine...

Bear in mind, operations like Thunder City, which operate under a similar dispensation, have spent over R55 Million in a safe operation (thats without the jets!), now face closure through tactics employed by a perceivably renegade operator, who admits his capital investment in the Hueys has been marginal.

Gary (not Francios i understand) has a colourful history when it comes to bending the rules, as does Elvis!

Its not about the compressor stalls, the stone thowing, the mooning, the insurance etc, it's about the CAA not making the rules clear, allowing some to profit, whilst frustrating others, and as long as the rules are grey, Gary will fly "illegaly" and Elvis will pop a guitar string.

That's my bit!