PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In a bit of a pickle - Any advice or recommendations appreciated
Old 28th Oct 2023, 15:20
SamPope5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysWondering
There are places in Florida where can you easily fly 30+ hours a week if needed.
Winter is actually the ideal time to fly there given it's the driest time of year and just plain hot rather than sweltering.
You should be able to get it under 100 USD (£82) per hour including fuel and insurance if you really search on a C152. Though you will need to get your UK license validated which will take time and costs money.

I also know of a few companies in Spain which have G-reg aircraft available which you may be able to rent full-time (you'd have to speak to them). It'll be pricier per hour than Florida, but may end up not too far off given the cost of flights/ hotels/ verification etc.. You also don't need verification which is a major benefit.

How you deal with your school and the contract is a touch different though.
Do they have a US base you could go to?/ Could you apply for a European student visa and extend your time wherever you are?
Unfortunately, I cannot spend any more time in Europe as I am going to exceed my 90 days allowance so will not be able to do that, but Florida has always been an option which I explored in the past. I am researching a few basis in Florida that may be able to help this weekend to make contact on Monday.

Originally Posted by VariablePitchP
Unfortunately you ignored the golden rule and one main benefit of modular training which is to pay as you go.

Sadly this is just a money problem. Throw money at it and it goes away.
I did go into this knowing there was an element of risk, but I thought the benefits of what I would have received outweighed this risk as my experience in ground school was very positive. I got myself into this and now I am looking at ways to mitigate the impact of what I have created.