PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tui runway excursion at Leeds Bradford 20/10/23
Old 28th Oct 2023, 08:42
Gordomac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Tui runway excursion at Leeds Bradford 20/10.23

Retired over a decade ago and even forgetting to match me socks these days , B o r t , who "categorized" airfields in the past ? Was it the UK CAA, Aerad/Jep etc.. I seem to recall Cat A meant you just went in & out without much bother. Cat B required a full crew brief and Cat C required special training, airfield visit plus check ride.

Places like Kathmandu, HK (in the really old days) etc were Cat C.

Leeds should have been Cat C these days given the foregoing discussion and history.

My co-jo days on Viscounts were tough enough and Captains giving the inbound leg away, quite rare, until they got to know you,. Oh, AND liked you. (I hardly ever got an inbound leg. Actually, even outbound was rare......Mmmmmmmmmm.........

My fave employer required verbal briefing on all airfields but moderated the content depending on degree of difficulty.. Cat C was no messing,like Funchal.

Fave FO was ex RAF LIghtenings. Listened to me going on & on about a CAT A place and when I finished with "Any Questions", exhausted, he just offered;" Oh, blimey, can't we just go in and Land ?" - !

Ok, decided not to wear any socks today.