PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tui runway excursion at Leeds Bradford 20/10/23
Old 27th Oct 2023, 21:49
pug

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Piltdown Man

What really surprises me about LBA is why there haven’t been more near misses and runway excursions. My suggestion would be build over the place and move it lock, stock and barrel to either Finningley or somewhere flat on the Vale of York that’s flat and points the right way. Maybe somewhere with proper road and rail connections, like a real transport hub?
Such a solution would make far too much sense Piltdown Man. Afraid a one Yorkshire airport was mooted in the 60’s during the motorway building phase and never stuck. Then the attempt at DSA by the private sector also didn’t work, jury still out whether it will return but last time the airlines didn’t buy in for the most part. As West Yorkshire is one of the country’s most densely populated conurbations, and its topography doesn’t exactly lend itself to airport development, I think we’re stuck with what we have. Will be interested whether the AAIB, when it publishes its report, will have anything to say about LBA and its unsuitability to commercial aviation.