PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel & Aerobatic training
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2023, 18:09
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
Home builts can be used commercially these days?
Tailwheel training is a private operation these days.

Originally Posted by zegnaangelo
My aim is to fly the Pitts. I was toying of the idea of doing my entire TW in the Pitts. But then, someone said it was better to get some basics in a more docile machine before doing Pitts training.
One school, at least, did tailwheel training in a Pitts S-2A but some students couldn’t hack it. The routine process is to start in a Citabria or Decathlon for both tailwheel and aerobatic training. Get the basics right at a lower hourly rate. Some basic aerobatic manoeuvres are so easy in a Pitts. Pitts flying demands advanced spin training significantly beyond that required for a spin endorsement.

That said, I'm not even sure that I will want to be in aerobatics seriously at the moment - its hard work to win a category and I don't have time or money to put much effort into training at the moment sadly.
Competition flying is fun and challenging. Cheaper to do regular, short practice aerobatic flights than wasting money on $1,000 hamburgers. It is addictive. (Writing this in Las Vegas at the World Advanced Aerobatic Championships.)
The following users liked this post: