PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tui runway excursion at Leeds Bradford 20/10/23
Old 27th Oct 2023, 14:09
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leeds is not your average airport. I regularly used to operate into LBA and was based there for a few years. It points the wrong way, it’s high up, the runway surface is rough as guts and the alleged runway gradients don’t really match reality. Combine that lot with the local topology which means that whenever there is any wind it’s horrible. This airfield was probably the most difficult I’ve flown into (inc. LCY & FLR). I was very fortunate that the aircraft I flew into LBA were easy to fly and handle on the ground. They also didn’t require much runway. The Jet 2 and Ryanair crews used to make landing there look simple although they did use most of the runway (why waste it) to rollout. But even these guys had to work hard on windy days (which invariably meant gusty crosswinds and turbulence.

What really surprises me about LBA is why there haven’t been more near misses and runway excursions. My suggestion would be build over the place and move it lock, stock and barrel to either Finningley or somewhere flat on the Vale of York that’s flat and points the right way. Maybe somewhere with proper road and rail connections, like a real transport hub?