PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA f/os Wanting GSS commands
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 07:35
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the contrary I think most BA pilots are very well informed on how the deal was arranged, both in terms of BA managements failure to consult GSS and GSS managements attempts to dodge the outcome. BACC have explained it all very clearly, albeit without the use of the emotive language which appears on this thread.

We fail to understand why any BA F/O would want to take a command in GSS

Command is command, people have their own personal ambitions.

, undertake a pay cut

Not necessarily, and money isn't everything.
work for vastly inferior terms and conditions

There's more to life than Bidline rules, and I suspect a number of bidders will have previously worked for organisations that make GSS look rather comfortable. Its not hard to go back to where you came from.

knowingly STEAL that command from a fellow BALPA member

STEAL? No new contract means no third aircraft means no new commands. New contracts means new commands for GSS pilots. It all boils down to whether you think BACC should turn a blind eye to contracting out work or should defend the interests of BACC members. Incidentally, less than 50% of GSS pilots are BALPA members.

then spend three years in a small airline where he will be most unwelcome - a pariah!

I'm sure there are worse things in life. The individuals might be treated like pariahs by a small element of GSS pilots, but I suspect its stretching credulity to claim that the entire GSS pilot body will display open hostility towards the secondees as that would be both immature and unprofessional. Comments like that were rife in the run up to the BACX secondments, yet the reality was that most BACX pilots simply got on with the job like professionals and kept personal animosity out of the flight deck. Those who did indulge themselves in vendettas were seen as rather pathetic by both communities.

Incidentally, as I sit here and look at the details of the GSS secondment it would appear that any co-pilot up to pay point 14 in BA would receive an immediate rise in basic pay by taking up a GSS secondment. The hourly allowances are £2.50 in BA versus £2.00 for GSS plus a £10 per day overseas allowance in BA. Given the profile of the successful bidders within BA I would say that they all stand to pocket a significant pay rise through the move to GSS.