PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 26th Oct 2023, 09:37
rudestuff

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Planner01
Yes and with those schools it is now £30k for joint CPL ME/IR. £5k for ATPL theory
Don't believe everything you see. A CPL is no more than £5k, MEIR about the same and ATPL theory £2k by distance learning.

Ok look.. I'm a naturally sarcastic twa.t so that's how it comes across, but I'm genuiny trying to help:

Try to get away from this mindset of PPL, 100hrs PIC then CPL/IR.

You can absolutely do it that way if you wish, because it works and that is what the flight schools will try to sell you, however there is a better way. And by better I mean cheaper. I see from your repeated assertions that I've got my work cut out trying to steer you in the right direction but I'll try to elaborate:

Lets look at a school which gives you your CPL followed by your MEIR, you will have 200 hours PLUS 15 hours of ME training PLUS 30 hours of sim for the IR. You'll have paid for 245 hours - 215 loggable hours plus 30 sim hours that will cost almost as much as 30 airplane hours but count for very little. As someone who's been there and done it, anything over 5 hours in a sim is a waste of time but a great money maker for the schools.

If you get your IR before your CPL you'll finish with 200 hours in your logbook and save 15 unnecessary airplane hours. You will still have 30 sim hours to pay for.

If you get your IR before your CPL but via the CBIR route you'll finish with 200 hours in your logbook and you will have flown most of that in an airplane THAT YOU NEEDED TO FLY ANYWAY for the hour building, so you save yourself the sim cost. By doing the IR during your hour building, you're really only paying for the instructor.

If you get your IR before your CPL, via the CBIR route but in a single engine airplane THEN convert to MEIR, you finish with 200 hours and you will spend slightly more on test fees but you can now fly as few as 8 ME hours instead of 21 ME hour, saving up to (13 times the price difference between ME and SE)

Essentially by tweaking the order you can get the MEIR almost for free. In principle:
1) Get everything done within 200 hours
2) fly as few simulator hours as possible.
3) fly as few ME hours as possible.

If you still don't believe me, take the school's price list and compare their modular cost to the individual cost of their own courses in optimum order. Most schools really don't want people knowing this.

Last edited by rudestuff; 14th Nov 2023 at 20:27.