PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tomago Airstrip
Thread: Tomago Airstrip
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2023, 02:15
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Dora-9
Working on the assumption that "disused" meant the former RAAF strip and given that the RAAF drawing has it in a loop, and to the east, of the Hunter River, then I'd have thought my location was correct. Open to contrary opinions though, what's the history of Smithy's strip?
AAhh, I understand the confusion now - I hadn't noticed the old RAAF map had the Tomago strip also named Hexham. I saw that you'd put Hexam on your Google image and thought you meant Hexham = Tomago when they are two separate strips and a couple miles apart. You're spot on with you're location though, Tomago Aluminium reference the old runway (and Mirage landing) in one of their newsletters where they say it's now part of the smelter.
The runway used by Flt Lt Cooper for his emergency landing is now part of the Tomago Aluminium site.
As for Smithy's - I can't recall any specific history about the strip, but when I worked coal trains out of Newcastle - 15 years ago now, mind you - I was told it was still in occasional use and Westpac used it for training, though I've no idea whether that's accurate or not. I'd always assumed it was built by the owner on the old rail bed of the old Richmond Vale Railway line - but a bit of digging today shows that the old branchline curved off at the location of the now-Aurizon depot adjacent Hexham Station. It was for sale while back, but being zoned E2 Environmental Conservation - as well as the surrounding land being nothing but a swamp, going underwater when you get any more than an inch of rain and good only for breeding mosquitoes meant it doesn't look to have sold.
The following users liked this post: