PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 25th Oct 2023, 15:26
Planner01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
You don't need to trust an anonymous post, but you should consider it, then do your own research to confirm if it's plausible. The Reason Stapleford is saying higher figures is because they are a money making business. They will not give you the most cost effective option, they will offer the most expensive one the market will bear.

If you research the flight experience requirements for PPL, IMC, IR, CPl, MEP etc you will see that the most optimal order to do things is almost never offered by flight schools: PPL,NR,IMC,IR,MEP,MEIR,CPL.

You can take any flight school fATPL quote and reduce it by 10-20% using their own prices, simply by optimising the modules. To put it in one word - Simulators. They want you use simulators because their profit margin is 80% vs 10% in an airplane.
Simulators don't count as hour building, airplanes do.
It's not that simple any more if you want dual EASA/UK licences. I'm currently guiding a family friend through modular and it genuinely is going to be over £70k after PPL, hour building, night rating, ATPLs (both exam sets), CPL ME/IR (dual licences), UPRT and APS MCC. On top of that they could be looking at £26k Sterling for RYR. These are figures for minimum hours in the UK including equipment and fees etc.
As for PPL costs mentioned above, most are charging dual even for solo flights. £200 per hour in a 152 comes to £9k. Add in exams fees, landing fees, touch and go fees, medical, equipment and you're nearing £11k. You'll then be looking at £150 per hour solo hire in a 152 x 100 is £15k. Add £5k for dual ATPLs. That brings you to £30k for PPL, hour building and ATPL exams. Going rate for dual EASA/UK CPL ME/IR in the UK is currently £30k.
Costs have skyrocketed a lot over the past year. He is getting quoted near £2k for night rating.