PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 25th Oct 2023, 10:59
PolomDrastiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrence Trent Derby
Modular has so many advantages for me personally. Not just financial, but also flexibility and time.

Of course the point isn’t just to get a CPL-ME-IR, it’s to get a job in the RHS at the end of it.

All of the integrated course providers market their “graduate talent pool”, tagging / links with airlines.

Many of them also offer modular training with this same job-seeking support, but they charge significantly more for their modular courses.

My question is… when it comes to finding that first job, is having the support of a big training organisation like this worth paying a premium for?
Originally Posted by rudestuff
It's just maths. Maybe follow through with a calculator.

Because you have to pay them, and schools make a lot of their profit on dual instruction. If a school charges £210 for dual and £150 for solo then you're paying (210-150=60) extra to cover the cost of the instructor.
A couple of points: Firstly there is usually a solo price and a dual price. It looks like they're charging dual for the whole 45 hours. However it's including VAT so not unreasonable. Secondly 210×45 = 9450 and Stapleford are currently offering 45 hours for £8977.50 total, including landing fees. Certainly not £12k.

Using their numbers for all the SE work and flying a Technam to save a bit more:
PPL first 45 hours £8764. SEP @£143, MEP @£450, instructor @£62:

£8764 + (143hrs x £143) + (12hrs x £450) + (67hrs x £62) = £38,767 - which is even less than my estimated figures.

Add £1000 to upgrade to a complex single for 5 hours for CPL and your total cost for aircraft, instructor and landing fees will be less than £40k (and that's at school prices! You can save a lot more by using TMG, foreign flying, non-equity share, negotiating etc).
The remaining costs will be Medical, flight tests (but not aircraft rental!), ground school, exams and licence issue.[/QUOTE]

RedHill's website says their PPL will cost £12k, Staplefords own website also says it will cost £50-£60k w/o type rating.

Youre missing a lot of information, stapleford has its own brochure with the breakdown of fees from zero to CPL and it is greater than >£50k. Obviously people are going to trust that more than an anonymous forum post on a website. Its their pilot training pricelist in the quick links section.