PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 25th Oct 2023, 10:15
SLXOwft

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Isn't the basis of the AH-64E contract commonality with the US fleet, wouldn't a Brimstone fit would deviate from that by requiring software changes? If it was common across the fleet presumably the US would expect the UK to provide the additional funds for the enhancement program(me)?

My understanding is the airframes, engines, rotor blades, and avionics are all new and the parts recycled from the WAH-64 include the mast-mounted assembly for the fire-control radar, LM's Modernized Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensor, the main rotor hub and other transmission elements, plus some structural elements.

Update: Having read further I realise the stated cost is £70m and that test firings have occured. I am lead to understand that JAGM uses the existing Hellfire body so is similar to the AH.1 fit and while it may not be as good as Brimstone in the Anti-armour role, its mult-ipurpose warhead may be effective against a wider range of targets.

Last edited by SLXOwft; 26th Oct 2023 at 19:50. Reason: Deeper reading