PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Homebuilt scrap aircraft crashed in WA
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2023, 01:11
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tail wheel
WIGE craft in Australia require both registration as a marine vessel and registration as an aircraft and the "pilot" must hold a marine drivers license and a pilot license, verified some years ago with the WIGE craft operating in Cairns.

I doubt that Junkyard Dog was compliant.
Not doubting you, but is there a current reference to that requirement? AIUI, there's several 'categories' of aircraft, glider/sailplane/helicopter (powered-lift, I think they call this) and so on, but one thing that stood out when I looked at whether a hovercraft would need a 'pilots' licence was the requirement that any lift generated be exclusive of the reaction of air against the earths surface, ie to be classed as an aircraft (or rocket/glider, etc) per 'the roolz' it had to be able to fly out of ground effect. LB touched on it earlier, but I can't find a definition to 'aircraft' in the current abomination of rules and regulations.

Interesting to note that in NSW, a seaplane - but only while it is on the water - is considered a vessel, per the Marine Safety Act, which also includes "any non-displacement craft" ie a hovercraft (or WIGE vehicle). What's even more interesting to note that, (again, in NSW), my boat, that's locked in my shed, tied down on its' trailer, is still considered to be on a voyage. Because "For the purposes of this Act, a vessel is taken to be proceeding on a voyage from when it gets underway for the voyage until it gets underway for another voyage." RMS obviously employ the same lawyers as CAsA...

EDIT: The WA DOT has a nice little page on WIGE(ts), including a decent photo of the boat/plane/vessel

Last edited by KRviator; 25th Oct 2023 at 01:17. Reason: Added WADOT link & pic.