PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATP Non-Type vs Type-Rated License: Concerns About Checkride
Old 23rd Oct 2023, 04:09
Jetmenow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good answers. Thank you!

Let me add my two cents though…

if your husband ever succeeds in his endeavors to go from ICAO to FAA, he should be forced to wear a captain’s hat - at all times - with a bright orange bandana - that reads either:

’My wife figured it out for me

or - alternatively -

‘I’m legal to haul 300.000 lbs from here to Bogota; but my wife helped me pass my checkride’

Don’t get me wrong - I wish my wife was supportive like that, so kudos to IllinoisDavidson for doing that!

Respectfully, let me point out my concerns here.

1) an ATP-CTP is not at all a certificate you can hold. Period! It does not entitle you to anything, aeronautically.

2) it’s merely a scrap sheet of paper indicating that you have once been the proud owner of $3.000; which you chose to blow on a diploma-mill type of operation to participate in a 2 day course about CRM. The only thing that does entitle you to is to sit for the ATP written. A long shot from hauling actual passengers or cargo! I wouldn’t go around the local bar bragging about ‘being an ATP-CTP’.

3) even after you passed your ATP written, that is by no means any certificate unless and until you pass a check ride and have the requisite hours in your logbook.

I totally get it, these are semantics but here we are, flying hundreds of millions of dollars of equipment around carrying hundreds of human lives! This is not the time nor the place to be complacent, colloquial, or, heavens forbid, have the wife provide regulatory guidance.

I am pretty sure if becoming an ATP was a group effort, there would be courses for wives and husbands to jointly attend.

Last time I chose to check, there weren’t. And my guess is for a reason.

I am, however, glad to see it worked out for you guys in the end!