PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 655 Sqn NI Gazelle Swansong announced
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2023, 10:49
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
Searching finds references to a wiring fault, connected to the anti-coll?

Below are some details
The only documents I saw was a signal (1976) sent to all units asking for a check of the cyclic stick and it's friction plus I saw the accident report in about 1981.
During the major of XW851 (1976) we were incorporating the hydraulic accumulator modification which I believe was to combat jack stall and was related to the crash of XW850.

I wrote this up at length in AVIAFORA.
Someone recently posted a photo of XW850 post accident I had never seen it before.

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=1697837079675

This is what I attached to the recent post numbered 6045 in Aviafora which includes the photograph. Dated 01/09/2023

"Go to posts 5271, 5260, 5263. I wrote a long piece on this accident.
The accident report at Aviation safety network is wrong as there was at least one fatality.
I think the wiring fault is a confusion with another incident in which the strobe light wiring was causing electrical interference to the hydraulic system causing the hydraulics to cycle on and off.
I think there was an earlier post on this issue as well."

50 years ago and this one still bugs me.

As an addition while investigating the hydraulics cutting in and out the pilot involved was sitting in a aircraft with an investigator and was asked at what frequency the hydraulics were cycling at.
Another aircraft was running nearby with it's strobe on. He said at that frequency pointing to the strobe.
The wiring for the strobe had been routed close to the hydraulic system wiring and was inducing a current affecting the system.

Last edited by ericferret; 21st Oct 2023 at 11:01.