PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Prospects in UK / Conversion
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2023, 08:52
OvertHawk

Received 147 Likes on 58 Posts
There is work in the UK onshore market at the moment, with quite a few HEMS pilot jobs coming up.

You don't mention any twin time - which would be a showstopper for HEMS units that all have minimum amounts of twin time required, as well as I/R and minimum amounts of actual I/F.

As regards converting - don't known the exact rules but you should expect a fair bit of flying, all the ground exams and if you want an I/R you'll need to do it on a twin (they might give you a couple of hours off for your FAA I/R).

It will be expensive. You don't say how old you are but bear in mind that single pilot public transport has a mandatory stop of 60 years in UK and EASA (may or may not change) so you need to consider if you have the earning potential in however many years between now and age 60 to earn back what you invest. Converting to a UK paramedic qualification is likely to be cheaper and allow you to work longer. Also - your earning potential as a paramedic with a few overtime shifts is not that far from what a HEMS pilot will make (after the taxman has taken his 40%) and more than a VFR R44 pilot is likely to get.

My experience of HEMS operations is that a background as a paramedic might not be an advantage - you might have to work hard to convince them that you would be able to focus on the flying and not get involved in or distracted by the medical stuff.

Also - and i say this constructively (and without any kind of woke agenda) - There are a lot of women flying helicopters now so addressing yourself to "gentlemen" twice in your original post is a bit naive.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

OH