PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tui runway excursion at Leeds Bradford 20/10/23
Old 21st Oct 2023, 08:31
Lazyturtle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Good Cat
The problem with heavy rain at Leeds, is that even if you can land comfortably in the 115% Factored LD, the technique for recovery from loss of directional control creates a huge decision problem:

We are supposed to release the brakes and cancel reverse to idle, then get back on the centreline and apply full braking and reverse.

Is the 115% enough to cater for this momentary drop of all retardation until control is regained? Personally I say not. We don’t practice in the sim for it (not at my company anyway) and a lot of captains are not even aware of the required technique (not their fault it’s just not reinforced or covered). Also, the startle factor takes a huge chunk out of capacity and reaction time when it hasn’t been drilled in to the brain.

Whenever I go to contaminated runways (such as the arctic circle) I always apply a massive increment to LDA if there’s a crosswind. The issue of course, is whether we have the balls to offloads bags etc to reduce weight before we depart.

As mentioned earlier, anyone criticising the crew this early hasn’t really been into Leeds in this weather.
Absolutely spot on.