PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3AW reporting parachuting plane down Barwon Heads 20/10/2023
Old 21st Oct 2023, 02:53
kingRB

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
You should contact the Federation and tell about all those deaths and injuries that are occurring that they don't know about, up to the end of 2022 the ten year rolling average has been two deaths per year, for the year 2022 there were 68 injuries.

All activities involve risk of one sort or another, there are cowboys every where that shun procedures, I wish that pilots were as conscious of training and safety as the majority of the skydiving community. When the sport started in Oz the training was very militaristic, a result of it beginning by ex SAS and Commando personnel.
absurd you'd even try and compare death and injury rates of skydiving to death and injury caused in the aircraft ride to height. I'm well aware of where the sport started in Australia, and understand that it has precisely zero to do with the current standards and training in the APF world. I've flown the military, SAS and civilians in parachuting operations and I can guarantee you the way civilian DZ's are run these days is about as far from a military standard as you could possibly get. You're regurgitating the same mental gymnastics i've heard hundreds of times from skydivers, so it seems you're just as incapable of looking at the industry with any objectivity and seeing what a complete clownshow it is. Which only gets worse the longer CASA keeps ignoring the aircraft operation as being commercial.

Jumping from the start was seen as a club activity and you had to be a member of the Federation to be involved, could even fly the aircraft on a PPL, with regulatory approval. Tandem passengers have to be members of the Federation prior to jumping, membership sign up taking place prior to the jump and cost is included in the jump price.
Thanks for stating how obviously farcical the entire process is to circumvent the reality that the general public are paying to fly in an aircraft being operated privately.

The APF is the regulator of the industry, CASA may make regulatory decisions such as aircraft restraints but it is up to the APF to sign off on the design for the particular aircraft type. CASA used to have a jumping expert on staff but I'm of the impression they no longer do. Like gliding jumping is self regulated, is there such a thing as a commercial gliding license where a bystander can be taken for a joyride?
What has any of that got to do with the regulation and limitations imposed on a pilot operating a Caravan or 750XL in a fully commercial skydiving environment? The APF has got nothing to do with the regulation, licensing and limitations in which the pilot is held accountable to. That's entirely the problem. Private licensing standards, commercial operation.