PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tui runway excursion at Leeds Bradford 20/10/23
Old 20th Oct 2023, 20:03
Andrew Heard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was based at LBA for many years, including a stint as Base Captain for a former UK regional airline. In that latter role I was, along with other airline representatIves, once sent a letter asking how runway markings and lighting could be improved. I replied that the only way to make the runway better would be to slice off the threshold of RW 32 (along with a bit of the local golf course), flip it over to the threshold of RW 14, demolish the terminal and rotate the whole runway, so that it pointed into wind. A facetious suggestion since there isn’t room, but it amused me for a while. I also suggested that concrete was not a good runway surface because it doesn’t drain. Needless to say my advice was not heeded.
Joking apart, LBA’s runway is shamefully inadequate, and a challenge even for experienced pilots in moderate weather. It annoys me intensely that plans for new terminals (see recent press releases) with shiny shops have always been such a misplaced priority.