PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines cargo 747 crashes in Kyrgyzstan
Old 20th Oct 2023, 10:03
ATNotts

Received 317 Likes on 184 Posts
Can I say from the outset that I am not a professional aviator of any description but I watched the video linked by #punkalouver and I was staggered.

Firstly, from a layman's (with more than a passing interest and understanding of aviation) perspective the quality of the video and explanation was extremely good, streets ahead of the "Air Crash Investigation" programmes on National Geographic; I hope I have not been taken in by nonsense.

It was obvious, albeit knowing how the story ended, that things were starting to go awry as the crew requested and were denied descent when they requested it, if I recall correctly, from FL220, and after that there appeared to be a snowballing of mistakes caused, it seems to me, in no small part by appalling CRM. Nothing was directly inferred during the film, but was part of the issue perhaps the military background of both crew members and perhaps a different mental attitude towards risk management? I am just intrigued as to how thing were allowed to get progressively worse to the point where, the accident was unavoidable, given that I am sure both the Captain and First Officer will have been correctly trained, and had an abundance of experience each, and between them. There was mention of a previous incident involving the Captain, but that wasn't held against him in the programme, and at the end of the day sometimes sh1t happens.