PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAMRA/SARON/INRAT
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2023, 19:37
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should be for subjects such as principles of flight, navigation, and meteorology. If you're set on taking a course though, I would strongly suggest you look at Aerocourse. Their books give you a very good feel for how the questions will be on the exams (in many cases, word for word), and I hear their seminars are top-notch. I'd suggest if you want to drop money on something. So that it is clear, I only ever bought their books, I have no affiliation other than seeing and hearing about their product, but I've never heard a bad thing. With that said, do not use their books to study the answers - as I said, that will eventually come back to bite you.

I would also suggest the following:

From the Ground Up - This is the GO-TO textbook in Canada. You can get through most of the subjects in Canada with just this book. It is about as thick as one of my NZ subject books, but within those pages is a gold mine of information.

Canadian Aviation Regulations Website - This will be your one-stop shop for all the air law. Although I also used a book called "
CARs in Plain English CARs in Plain English
," you avoid the potential for changing regulations by going straight to the source.

TC AIM - The Aeronautical Information Manual outlines all the rules and procedures for operating an aircraft in Canada. You can think of it as expanded guidance from the CARs. This is not so much I suggest you get it, as you will need to get it if you have any chance of passing your exams - that is how integral it is to aircraft operations.

Nav Canada AIP - The AIP is similar to, but quite different from the TC AIM. The only part of the AIP that you will likely find helpful is Part 1, often known as the CAP GEN. Parts 2 and 3 are used by international flight ops departments to figure out how to operate into and from Canada. When operating within Canada, it is the AIM that is the primary reference.

Air Command Weather Manual - An Air Force Weather Manual put out by the RCAF. It's good to grab as this seems to be what TC uses to develop their Met questions.

Mechanics of Flight - Not well known in Canada, but I think every pilot should own this. It's great for principles of flight, and the content for high-speed flight is a great starting point for pilots.

Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators
- Put out by the US Navy, this is a go-to book for principles of flight. There is a reason we used this during my university aerodynamics studies. Sure, it has its problems, but it is well worth the cost.

Human Factors in Aviation - Advanced Handbook Human Factors in Aviation - Advanced Handbook
- There are better books out there on the subject, but this is where TC seems to pull information for the questions. Be careful: there are two editions to this book: Basic and Advanced. Advanced is what you want for the ATPL. Basic is for the PPL and into the CPL.

Alright, as for other books that I won't hyperlink, but that I nevertheless found helpful (but in no particular order) during all my studies thus far (this includes a type rating and into my 23rd year as an airline pilot):
  • Dictionary of Aviation Terms
  • Handling the Big Jets
  • The Jet Engine (by Rolls-Royce)
  • Gas Turbine Engines (for Pilots and Mechanics)
  • The Turbine Pilots Flight Manual
  • Fly the Wing
  • Advanced Aircraft Systems
  • Flight Discipline (Kern)
  • Redefining Airmanship (Kern)
  • Airplane Flying Handbook (FAA, available as PDF. Just ignore the FAR stuff, unless you want to fly into the US, then it's handy!)
  • Instrument Flying Handbook (FAA, same as above)
  • Instrument Procedures Handbook (FAA, same as above, but there are a few differences between Canada and the US, so take this with the warning that is intended)