PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Job Drive Australia
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2023, 21:53
runway16

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Global, Hi.
Your reply an interesting read.
I disagree in that an operator, say a small charter operator, wants minimum expense for a new pilot before he makes money. Standisation, a check flight and maybe a route check but not 'Training' at large. The last say 10-15 years has seen a change in the dynamics of flight training. Sausage factories staffed by instructors who are still sucking on moma's tit, kids who still live at home and Dad expects the flight school to make them a man. Flight schools that talk of our highly experienced instructors - who only got their instructors ticket a month ago, and never flown out of the state.
Build time towing gliders. A good time building route because the gliding people look over your shoulder to ensure no bent metal. Para dropping. I got 45 minutes in a C185 before I was set loose. Now have done over 3500 sorties and 13000 plus jumpers but one thing it did teach me was working solo and under pressure and had to make sure I got it right.
Flight schools are interested in one thing - making money. What a lot lack is competent experienced instructors who have real skills to pass on to the new Bees.
I say again that CASA introducing Part 142 with 150 hours is creating inexperience new CPLs. It takes all of 200 hours to be happy that you will get home in one piece.
Investing time and training is something that my last CEO lacked and with thousands of hours there was no professional development for me. . That went to the less experienced instructors who were good drinking buddies with said CEO, and were always having a laugh in his office instead of doing the job. After they got their upgrade they then left with no contract to keep them on staff and return the PD.
Yes, times, attitudes and regulations as well as expectations have all changed in the last 10-15 years.
R