PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Job Drive Australia
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2023, 02:12
Global Aviator

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by runway16
Global,
The idea with any commercial operator is to make money. It is said that if a GA operator makes 4% on investment they are doing good.
In part that means that they want pilots who need minimum flying before they are set loose on a money making mission.
To do any training costs in terms of aircraft, competent check/training pilots, fuel, decreased aircraft hours to make money, risks involved in training.
In short what an operator wants is a pilot who has what it takes to make money with minimum check flying, not training. Thus a pilot already trained and capable to fly their aircraft type and can be set loose to make money, safely, is the one who gets the job. Not having to spend time training someone to be capable.
R
For a first job I disagree. You know you are employing a bare CPL that will need work and mentoring. In return if you treat each other right you get an employee who will fly your singles, into twins then off to greener pastures. Ok yes this was yesteryear!

Tell me how much does it cost you to do ICUS with a newbie pilot?

I do agree training organisations should do more, I don’t agree that a fresh CPL should be ready to have the keys thrown to them and off ya go. Investing time and money in people pays dividends (or used to).

In now debating with myself, is a fresh CPL ready to instruct? No they have to do a course, ready to paradrop? Nope need some training, ready for survey work, errrr…..

Any job after the first I agree wholeheartedly however we need to give the newbies a break after all we got one.

Newbies if readying this then yes I agree with alot of what’s written here in regards to upskilling and making sure you can fly a 6 pack!