PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How I got my FAA 61.75 PPL Certificate
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2023, 01:57
zegnaangelo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How I got my FAA 61.75 PPL Certificate

Recently got my Australian PPL converted to the FAA 61.75 PPL. The PPL is the highest Certificate that you can get via an administrative process without taking a checkride. Was a fairly seemless process though could be daunting if you don't have any guidance. I thought I would share the process here

1. Fill up the form in IACRA https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx " Start the foreign verification process"
a. Choose the Scottsdale Arizona FSDO to work with
b. You can choose another FSDO, but you will need to get the letter "transferred" to the FSDO that your chosen DPE-FPE works with if it's not the same (it happened to me, it's not hard and takes only 1 or 2 business days - just a simple email to the FAA verification branch)

2. After submitting IACRA application, submit Form 452 to CASA immediately

^^I was impressed, the above steps took only 3 business days - FAA will email CASA and CASA will email your details to the FAA. CASA will then email you letting you know that they have sent your details to the FAA

3. A few days later, FAA will write to you to let you know that the Verficiation Letter is in your IACRA account

4. Now the fun part. In theory, you can write to your nominated FSDO to arrange for an appointment. I wrote to my nomintated one, who said that they don't do appointments for this, and to find a DPE-FPE to process this. I heard there are some FSDO who are still accepting Physical or Zoom appointments (e.g. Portland FSDO? but I don't know who they are (and didn't bother scouring the United States)). I wrote to 2 DPE-FPE who seemed to offer this service online, 1 didnt get back and one got back really quick (https://checkrides.us/ - he is friendly and efficient and gave a step by step process on how to get this done). His fee was US$150 + paypal charges for foreign based applicants. Sent him the requisite documents and filled in another IACRA form + scheduled a Zoom appointment with him a few days later.

And now I am in posession of a FAA Temporary Airman's Certificate, 1.5 weeks after first starting the process.

NB the downside of using a DPE-FPE to process your application is that they charge a fee. If you do it via a FSDO it is free. But you will need to find one who is processing this in-person or via Zoom still. And I did not want to travel to the US.

Last edited by zegnaangelo; 18th Oct 2023 at 06:45.
The following users liked this post: