PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaza Air War
Thread: Gaza Air War
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2023, 14:29
Lonewolf_50

Received 433 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by golfbananajam
I'm sorry, but indiscriminate bombing is just plain wrong, and I don't care which side does it, IT IS STILL WRONG.
That isn't what he was describing, though. I am painfully aware of how RoE for airstrikes loosen and tighten as the political acceptance of a certain level of collateral damage/casualties, varies. There is a detailed targeting process that has to accommodate those risks.
Nothing indiscriminate about it, in terms of what TR was describing.

With that pointed out, the recent remarks by that Israeli rear admiral about their going for quantity not quality during, the initial missions ,indicates that their RoE at that point were looser, and if they don't tighten them up they absolutely open themselves up to precisely the charge you lay there.
Originally Posted by [email protected]
it's not - it is in a fight with a neighbour
Crab, look at the map and measure things in nautical miles. A strategic problem that the Israelis have had since about 1947 is a lack of strategic depth.
It's a matter of geography, time, distance, and range.
Each fight they get into has the potential to become existentially threatening if they make an operation error.
They don't have all that much territory, and yes, they tend to be paranoid about that.

Unlike you, they don't have the English Chanel to hide behind. Unlike me, they don't have the Atlantic Ocean to hide behind.
None of that harsh reality excuses some of their nastier policies. The dispute is over land.
Originally Posted by Mil-26Man
There is nothing "indiscriminate" about what is happening in Gaza.
Maybe not at the moment, but the remarks that Israeli Rear Admiral made last week in terms of characterizing the air strikes as something considerably less than precision strikes leads to valid criticism in that direction.
Sorry crab, but if you don't recognise by now that every war Israel fights is a war for its survival then you haven't been paying attention for the past 75 years.
A key factor in that is the pure geography and lack of strategic depth. They can't afford to be on the back foot, ever.

With that in mind *** Aviation Content!!!*** the delay between when the paragliders crossed the border and the IAF responded ought to give them pause. They were on the back foot.
Yes, they are paranoid. Perhaps there is some justification in that mind set, in terms of what the cost of a mistake can be.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lonewolf_50: