PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NH-90 problems
Thread: NH-90 problems
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2023, 00:36
helispotter

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by casper64
Do we already know the cause of the crash? I guess it’s not technical as otherwise this would be put wide in the open to state...
Not that I am aware from any public reports. My post #295 links to an NH Industries statement indicating no data so far suggesting accident relates to "aircraft design". However to be complete, NHI should also have included comment on the circumstances of the earlier two major, but fortunately not fatal, Australian MRH-90 incidents. Then again, if the ADF was more open with disclosure regarding such incidents, a manufacturer wouldn't feel compelled to publicly defend their product, at least from a safety perspective.

The opposition leader had an indirect dig at the MRH-90 as part of his tribute statement in parliament yesterday. He could be reminded that the decision to acquire this type in 2004 was made by the then Liberal Defence Minister Robert Hill, seemingly at odds with an earlier recommendation from the department (see my post #285). Hill also put us on the track of the much delayed JSF in what came across like an 'overnight decision' at the time.