PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying training advice
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2023, 12:55
jm9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying training advice

Hi everyone, another wannabe here!
I've plenty of rotary crew experience, both military and civilian. Thoroughly enjoy my job, but progression is significantly limited and becoming a pilot has always been a goal. I am now at the point of considering funding myself through flying training to become a fixed wing commercial pilot. I have chose fixed wing over rotary due to what I see as many more jobs advertised, significant more progression, and much cheaper to learn.
The modular route is my preferred, it will allow me to continue working in a job with relevant experience. A few questions which I would be very appreciative of any answers:
Am I stupid to fund flying training with the savings I have instead of purchasing a first house? I was taking a view of short term pain for long term gain of hopefully a better paid job.
What are employers like to work for? I have learnt who you work for is arguably more important than what you do. I'm thinking family circumstances, shift patterns, job security etc.
Is this still a good industry to get into? With around 30 years of work still in me, what do you think the industry will look like?

Thank you everyone