PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaza Air War
Thread: Gaza Air War
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2023, 10:19
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by jolihokistix
GB situation compares with the situation of Japan, i.e. Russia to the north and west, holding onto the Kuriles, muttering about taking Hokkaido, and sending aircraft patrols to regularly test Japanese reactions. Then there’s the DPRK just to the west gone nuclear and constantly threatening to destroy Japan and its US bases. Southwest is the central mass of China, sending ships and aircraft to test Japan’s reactions and defensive preparedness around her southern islands. Taiwan lies due south, counting on help if and when China decides to try to take Taiwan by force. No EU collectivity and no NATO back-up leaves them with little choice but to stay armed and ready for anything, despite US assurances.
Jolly, ordinarily I follow your reasoning, not so much this time. You have described the differences, I would have thought similarities would be more topical. The GB condition otherwise could be compared to Bhutan, Eritrea, or Sao Tome, with a similar relevance. Am I missing something?

The UK has would back its defence over time as a practical matter related to assumed peace dividends, and wishful thinking of the politicians, coupled with a touch of lunacy with the exit from the EU..that they need to increase expenditure on security and border protection should not come as a surprise to anyone, those that voted for Brexit is
don't have much to complain about, they made this omelette.

The drawdown of defence balances the mess of the economy, but it has always been a case that the fight in the dog counts as much as the stature, something Russia failed to remember. The UK MoD needs to increase its ready capability, but it is not the only one in NATO that has some activity in that score.
The following users liked this post: