PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Start - Global Airlines
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2023, 16:51
Apron Artist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by willy wombat
I am just curious about the point that has been raised a number of times re LGW having only one A380 gate. When EK initially introduced the A380 to Gatwick it used a dedicated gate in the North Terminal satellite (over the bridge) which had air bridge access to both the upper and lower deck. A while back (a couple of years?) EK switched to a “new” A380 gate in the main body of the North Terminal. However, is their original A380 gate on the satellite no longer suitable for A380s? Please could a LGW expert advise.
When it first came it used Pier 4 - stand 51 I think. I can't remember the air bridge/steps arrangement but both were used. Subsequently, it moved to Pier 6 - stand 110 which had air bridge access to both upper and lower decks. It's now on Pier 5 - stand 558. Stand 51 could still easily accommodate an A380, but wouldn't have air bridge access to both levels.
-
When Hi-Fly brought their A380 in, it was generally stuck out on the remote 170 stands lots of coaches/steps involved. Messy.