PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMGC in Lufthansa A320s
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2023, 18:39
Sim25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXDAC
Are you saying that Honeywell software is run on Thales hardware? If so, why would Honeywell manufacture a card set for this equipment? Is there some part of the Honeywell documentation that I linked earlier that you think is wrong?
The FMG(E)Cs are a little complex. Honeywell made their own FMS board set for these units, with their software running on it. This should be, what's in the pdf you linked. Yet Thales definitely made/make their own FM card set. When it comes to the software which is running on it, it becomes a little tricky. There is Thales FM software out there, but I'm not 100% sure if this software might not be co-developed with another company (Honeywell). But I can't proof that, ask Thales .

Apart from that: FM always has to interact with FG, FG is the basic AFCS modes. I don't know, if this is the right thread for deeper technical stuff, but maybe a little:
The FMG(E)Cs are basically 2 (in case of FMGEC - 3) different computers. They share a housing, power supplies and memory to communicate.
FG in FMGC consists of, if I remeber correctly, 3 different CPU boards (2 in COM and 1 in MON) and then there is the FM part (which can be different).
FMGEC is 2 CPU boards for FG (COM - MON), 2 for FE (COM - MON), 1 for FIDS and again FM (which can be different).
All the hardware, FM excluded, is ALWAYS supplied by Thales.
The software for all subsystems is developed by Airbus, FM excluded.
That's why at the end Thales is the one who integrates everything.

Sorry if this was too much info...

Last edited by Sim25; 9th Oct 2023 at 18:56.