PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy awards Contractor Only Pilot Training – Rotary to The Helicopter Institute,
Old 9th Oct 2023, 15:25
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Outside of the military there is no need for 'Tactics". So use ex mil instructors for that part of the training.
This thread is exactly about military training - you seem to want to extend my arguments into civvy stuff as well which is definitely not what I wrote.

The DHFS (now MFTS) model at Shawbury has been running since 1995 and of all the QHIs who have taught there I suspect precious few are not ex-mil - simply because of what has to be taught to mil pilots. That was what I meant (even if you interpreted it differently) in my comments.

If you wanted to make an argument that civ pilots could teach procedural IF as well as, if not better than, a mil QHI you would be right but why limit your instructors skill set, that lacks flexibility in a training setup.

Mil or ex-mil pilots should be teaching newbie mil pilots, not just for the flying but for the ethos and the operational experience they bring.

Yes, NVGs are used by plenty of civilian pilots but not for the same things as a mil pilot

​​​​​​​And of all the IR failures you have seen in the sim, what proportion are ex-mil QHIs?