PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any OneDrive experts ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2023, 11:02
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Any OneDrive experts ?

It seems I don't understand how MS onedrive is meant to work!

I have a onedrive account with 1Tb of space provided by my employer. I understand that onedrive is intended to provide synchronisation between a directory on one physical computer and cloud-based copies - for the purpose of backup and sharing. However, I actually want to use it simply as cloud based storage, accessible from multiple machines. I want to be able to dump files onto a file structure on my OneDrive that bears little or no resemblance to the file structure on any computer. I have several computers (mac and windows) and I am seeing very odd behaviour when I look at the same onedrive from different machines - some files seem visible on one machine but not another, some seem visible on the cloud.com version of the drive and others are not. I assume this is because I don't really understand what I am doing when I save a file to OneDrive, or drag it in from a directory. Is it possible to use OneDrive as cloud-based storage that is effectively unlinked to any machine ? I can see potential for real disaster if I am not actually asking it to do what I think I'm asking it to do!

If it helps, I also use Mac's iCloud drive and that behaves exactly as I would expect and want.

Thanks for any thoughts.