PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do these clearances by Heathrow Director mean?
Old 9th Oct 2023, 04:53
360BakTrak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H4rryTheFlyer
For context: I know what a hold is, I know why we have them, but this is something I have not heard before.

I was recently flying VFR outside CAS (Controlled Airspace) with a friend of mine and we were outside the London CTA. We thought it would be interesting to eavesdrop on Heathrow's FIN Director Frequency - 120.4 on COM 2.We both heard a clearance which we couldn't quite get our head around, it was:

"BAW819K, Turn right to Lambourne, cancel the hold, leave Lambourne 265"

We both look at each other and go "Eh, that sounded different". Shortly we heard it again:

EIN1LT, Make a right turn back to Bovingdon, leave Bovingdon heading 180 degrees"

Could anybody explain what this means? Any explanation?, I have never heard such a way to exit a hold!
They're pretty self explanatory really! Route to the beacon/fix then fly the assigned heading. It's an expeditious & efficient way of positioning aircraft into the sequence for landing rather than following a full STAR procedure. You gotta pack em in at LHR and similar airports!