PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eva Air, Taiwan
Thread: Eva Air, Taiwan
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2023, 08:20
Pilot56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to start?

Avoid falling into the allure of the shiny jet syndrome. EVA Air serves as a perfect example of the meaning behind this phrase; the prospect of piloting a big and fancy jet comes at a significant cost to mental well-being due to the company's punitive and intimidating culture. The initial training is a very negative experience, marked by relentless attempts to break you, with instructors quick to fail you for even the most minor errors.

A firm landing during IOE can land you in trouble, while a hard landing might prematurely terminate your training. I witnessed numerous pilots facing hard consequences as EVA Air terminated their employment within the first month of training. Surprisingly, upon transitioning to the line, I encountered many pilots with remarkably low standards. What happened with all the “high standards”?

The Safety Culture at EVA Air is among the worst I have ever encountered. Voluntary safety reports can lead to reprisals, despite the policy supposedly guaranteeing immunity. During company meetings, top management frequently mocks pilots involved in incidents, labeling them as incompetent, and openly stating that the Company will not legally support a pilot if a serious accident or incident results from pilot error. Moreover, the company resorts to public humiliation by displaying warning letters and other disciplinary notices on TV screens where pilots report for duty.

Sadly, conversations within the cockpit are very negative, with most pilots embracing resentment towards the company. I cannot recommend EVA Air unless you find yourself with no other viable options. Many of us already in this environment are either waiting for initial training with another airline, in the process of applying to different carriers, or actively seeking alternatives.

If you still decide to pursue a career with EVA Air, it is imperative to have a backup plan in place.