PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westall 1966 flying saucer incident
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2023, 22:37
Squawk7700

Received 196 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood1
So, are you trying to tell us you don't believe in UFOs, Dick?
Sounds like it :-)

I swung past the area yesterday and took some photos. This park is in the direction from the school towards where the "craft" was seen, but there is conjecture over exactly where it landed (as in the distance from the school). I was advised that the trees / terrain that you see here is reminiscent of how it was back then.

They have erected a flying-saucer in the playground as a memento of the day and did their best to make it look like what all the witnesses saw on that day back in 1966.

Back to Dick's point though, what did they actually see? UFO's aside, there aren't really that many things that it could have actually been that match the visual description along with it's performance capabilities. As best as I can tell, back in the 1960's, weather balloons looked like the below. The target drone that they said it could have been would look something like the below too. Last I heard, target drones didn't do vertical takeoffs and landing, didn't have purple light and didn't make a humming sound.

The Jindivic? They are a far cry from the flying "saucer" that everyone drew. You also have to question how they all drew the same thing and talked about purple lights.

This is a good video about it:

Melbourne’s Westall UFO sighting continues to fascinate | Herald Sun

I find the comments interesting about the "4 or 5 planes" following it. The site is around 2.5 nauticals from Moorabbin airport. It was 11am on Wednesday the 6th April. I don't know how busy Moorabbin was back then, but it also seems a bit strange that there were actually 4-5 aircraft in the area at the time and of those that were nearby 4-5 of the pilots had the courage to head out of the circuit to Westall to follow them and take a closer look. Were those 4-5 plane circling around, or chasing the UFO? One of the girls said that there was more than one UFO, like 3 of them.