PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot sacked for snorting coke from, err, well...and then trying to fly home.
Old 5th Oct 2023, 09:14
Jhieminga

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
I don't know if I was suggesting leniency, but I see your point. If he had removed himself, if he had recognised his condition and had stepped up, we would have looked at him differently. Still, the intention to do something is not the same as actually doing it. I was not able to find a similar article or list based on UK regulations, but this article has a decent overview of what would get a FAA licence revoked: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...-pilot-revoked It includes 'virtually any flight operation involving the use of drugs or alcohol contrary to the limits specified by the regulations' but note that this states 'flight operation' instead of 'turning up for a flight'. We can argue that turning up at the crew room is already part of... but to be honest, I don't know exactly where and when he was approached and pointed towards an economy class seat in the back. Also, I don't know if that's relevant right now. He did not actually operate the flight while under the influence of, and because of that, I doubt whether the CAA has enough of a case to pull his licence.

At this point in time, pulling his medical has the same effect: it keeps him out of cockpits. Also, we don't know exactly what the circumstances are but we are playing judge and jury when we're saying 'pull his licence'. The article I linked to above, as well as a post earlier on (this one), talk about a second chance. I think we all agree that this guy has a problem, evidenced both by his partying attitude and perhaps also in some of his other actions, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's barred from flying for life. He still think he is allowed to get his day in court, his chance to learn from this, heal and re-evaluate what he wants to do. Time will tell if that involves flying.