PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QUALITY of the Flight Instructor VET Course
Old 5th Oct 2023, 01:59
43Inches

Received 436 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by flyinghigh85
A long time reader and my first post. Currently doing the Flight Instructor course on VET fee help ($32,000 + Govn taxes of 20% = around $38,000 total) and would like to know of other people's experience of doing this course in terms of quality! I'm 1/3 of the way through this course (it runs for 3 months) and it's.. in my opinion.. complete garbage. The first 3-4 weeks of this program is all "TAE theory" and we are literally just copying word for word from books completed from previous intakes. The TAE theory has nothing to do with actual flight instruction and feel like it's just "filler" to make this course eligible for government funding under VET. In class, the 2x teachers mumble off on tangents and seem not interested in what is being taught.

This module that we are all doing is "worth" (on the VET summary) around $8,000. I just can't see how it's worth so much when everybody is just copying from folders completed by previous students that graduated in the course.

Does anyone else have any experience with the VET Instructor Rating and whether your school did something similar with you?

Best,
Flying High
I assume you are just doing an 'Instructor Rating' that is approved for subsidy via VET. Therefore the quality of training will be purely down to who is providing the tuition like any other course for any subject. Every tuition provider in the world is different and even coming down to who is the individual instructors/lecturers on the day and how you fit in with their methods. That is why good universities have good reputations and others, well... It's exactly the same in Aviation, except reputation is hard to gauge for aspiring pilots. A better question is 'where to' after you complete the course, do they hire their own pilots, are you out on your own looking for work and so on. Finding work as a new pilot is not easy, regardless of the reputation of the training provider, although it does sometimes help. The aviation industry is not like other transport industries where you can do a quick TAFE course at any provider and find work relatively easily, the first job can be very hard to come by. I was selective by doing my instructor rating at a school that offered work on completion, they didn't promise direct entry on completion, no one did at the time, but they did offer work as soon as a vacancy permitted.

PS being an instructor requires significant social skills and interactions with strangers. IF you find it difficult to ask around, look for the best schools, find out if they employ trainees etc, then you will probably struggle with the social aspects of instructing in general.

Last edited by 43Inches; 5th Oct 2023 at 02:09.