PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot sacked for snorting coke from, err, well...and then trying to fly home.
Old 4th Oct 2023, 20:21
John Marsh

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
I'm not sure that that's what I was trying to say, but perhaps I'm misreading your post. I am vehemently against the use of narcotics in any way except when prescribed by a medical professional. I do think that our society is changing in its view on these things. When I grew up, drugs were used by junkies in derelict buildings. Now they're being used by adults who have a decent job at parties or at home with friends. It's certainly not everyone who's doing this, but the numbers are going up. More importantly, the perception of it is changing. I think there is a group of younger ones (that's: all younger than me) who accepts narcotics as part of the 'party scene' in the same way I saw beer and other alcoholic drinks when I was 18. The problem is that these young ones are in responsible jobs and have a duty of care. That's the bit that's baffling me.

As for the BA pilot, I reckon that narcotics misuse is a valid ground for pulling a medical. I don't think that pulling his licence is warranted yet. Even though he turned up with the intention of operating the flight, he did not end up on the flight deck (thanks to the crewmember) and as such, did not get into a situation where he put others at risk. This guy may have a serious problem (more than one) but he too deserves to defend himself, work on his problems and perhaps at some point in the future get his medical back if he has learned enough.
You seem to be suggesting a degree of leniency. I would be inclined to grant such if he had removed himself from the JNB-LHR leg.