PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot sacked for snorting coke from, err, well...and then trying to fly home.
Old 4th Oct 2023, 08:10
Jhieminga

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
The idea that 'everyone is doing this these days', which is kind of the line being taken by some here is just wrong at every level. Everyone is not doing it and those few that do cannot seriously say they had no idea of how it was going to pan out.
I'm not sure that that's what I was trying to say, but perhaps I'm misreading your post. I am vehemently against the use of narcotics in any way except when prescribed by a medical professional. I do think that our society is changing in its view on these things. When I grew up, drugs were used by junkies in derelict buildings. Now they're being used by adults who have a decent job at parties or at home with friends. It's certainly not everyone who's doing this, but the numbers are going up. More importantly, the perception of it is changing. I think there is a group of younger ones (that's: all younger than me) who accepts narcotics as part of the 'party scene' in the same way I saw beer and other alcoholic drinks when I was 18. The problem is that these young ones are in responsible jobs and have a duty of care. That's the bit that's baffling me.

As for the BA pilot, I reckon that narcotics misuse is a valid ground for pulling a medical. I don't think that pulling his licence is warranted yet. Even though he turned up with the intention of operating the flight, he did not end up on the flight deck (thanks to the crewmember) and as such, did not get into a situation where he put others at risk. This guy may have a serious problem (more than one) but he too deserves to defend himself, work on his problems and perhaps at some point in the future get his medical back if he has learned enough.

Last edited by Jhieminga; 4th Oct 2023 at 13:35. Reason: spelling (or lack thereof)