PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot sacked for snorting coke from, err, well...and then trying to fly home.
Old 3rd Oct 2023, 09:01
Right20deg

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
I don't have any personal experience here, but I do understand from recent news articles that class A drugs are becoming as 'normal' and 'accepted' in younger generations as alcohol was when I was a bit younger. Apparently it is a normal thing to do to order a few lines/pills/whatever you fancy to support a party, have a good weekend and basically shut your brain down for a couple of hours before taking on the next week of advancing your career. Another 'modern' thing is of course bragging/publishing/sharing everything you do on the internet. The method and platform regularly changes but the norm here is that it didn't happen unless you shout about it from the rooftops to everyone on your contact list and your boss's mum. I'm just wondering how much of those modern mindsets is conflicting with the old style mindsets that others in the industry still have (not judging either way), and the safety mindset that you should have if you're put in a responsible position at the pointy end.
There was a World in Action documentary made decades ago, showing the professional classes taking high quality drugs over the weekends. Winding down after a big week in our cities , people in the judiciary, bankers solicitors accountants and dealers.....you name it, they were doing it. The documentary showed how clever people were able to do just enough drugs to relax and then be back in harness in the business on monday with nobody the wiser. The documentary, I believe, was withheld as it was deemed to risky to show to the public by setting a bad example of the correct way to do things.