PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ascent Flight Training Hiring At RAF Valley
Old 2nd Oct 2023, 10:07
Lucifer Morningstar

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by LogDog
I have been posted to Canada twice and have lived there for the last 7 years as a civilian. The standard of living better--certainly, the cost of living much lower-----you have to be joking. It is rocketing atm, the amount of homeless I now see in my city is unbelievable, food banks spring up everywhere, community appeals for shelter, cost of rent and the sheer amount of Brits that are returning to the UK as their disposable income has vastly reduced. Canada is certainly not what it was and the halcyon days of a great exchange rate are very much over. Don't get me started on cheap visits to the US either.
We shall agree to disagree. I have twice the house for half the price I could have got in most of the UK. I paid 30k for a new car that costs 72k in England. Gas is 60% of the uk cost. Insurance about the same. Cell phone contract about 50% more expensive here. Food in the supermarket about 50% more expensive here but weirdly eating out is about half the price {don’t really understand that one).

Overall I am living a standard and quality of life I could only dream of in the UK. I see no homeless people, there is virtually zero crime where I live, and importantly for me, the fishing is absolutely fantastic😁

All that said, Canada is simply vast, and I know there are areas that have issues with crime, drugs, rent cost (Toronto $$$). However with all the space and stunning countryside, it is easy not to live in those places.