PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot sacked for snorting coke from, err, well...and then trying to fly home.
Old 30th Sep 2023, 18:38
Jack D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abrahn
I don't know about the BA assessment process, but an ATPL is a fairly middling achievement - below the standard required of, for example, a nurse, paramedic or physiotherapist and about level with an osteopath.
​​
If you look at the census statistics that puts an ATPL holder somewhere in the bottom 50%-65% of the over-16 English population, i.e. just above average.
I hold an engineering degree from a respected UK ( London) university and an ATPL issued in the 60,,s . I think you are referring to only the written part of this license ? There is rather more to it than that , and where do these “ statistics” come from ? Nurse , paramedic , laudable jobs but surely no comparison ..
nonetheless times change and academically the license itself ( written part) has become far less rigorous as have most school exams . I knocked out the US ATPL exam after about a week of study . None of this is the point, the written part of the license opens a door, not all are able to pass through the door to achieve their dreams.