PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot sacked for snorting coke from, err, well...and then trying to fly home.
Old 30th Sep 2023, 10:31
RichardJones

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Abrahn
I don't know about the BA assessment process, but an ATPL is a fairly middling achievement - below the standard required of, for example, a nurse, paramedic or physiotherapist and about level with an osteopath.
​​
If you look at the census statistics that puts an ATPL holder somewhere in the bottom 50%-65% of the over-16 English population, i.e. just above average.
I agree with you there.

When I attended a 10 week course for the UK ATPL theory, in the 1970's it was different. I don't consider myself that smart. I had 14 subjects to pass. It was written answers then. Now I believe it's knowing a question and answer bank of all possible questions and answers.

What you do need, is the drive and tenacity to succeed. I've seen university graduates drop out of these courses. It's a calling if you like.

Taking in knowledge and coughing it up, on demand is not proof of intelligence IMHO. Innovators? Yes they are smart.

I consider a London Taxi driver for example as being way smarter than I. Try doing the London knowledge.
We are all not all wired the same.

Last edited by RichardJones; 30th Sep 2023 at 13:50.