PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 14:59
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are hitting the nail on the head Shawn. As I posted in the Black Hawk threads, I feel there really needs to be a change of terminology to avoid what is clearly confusing the hell out of everyone. That terminology was changed in Oz more than 20 years ago, and nowadays it is rare to hear this endless discussion and all its misunderstandings.

As I suggested in the Black Hawk thread, we can clean up the terminology simply by calling the situations what they are, and thus promote increased understanding (which is the ultimate goal anyway):

Vortex Ring State should be called Vortex Ring State, and no longer called settling with anything - because it is far from a "settling experience".

Running out of power should be called Insufficient Power because that is what it is. The fact that you then settle to the ground also happens with engine failures - but we dont refer to them as settling without any power! I go for "insufficient power" in preference to Shawns suggestion of "power required exceeds power available" because it says the same thing with more brevity.

Thus the bloke who tries to come to the hover and then smites the ground would NOT be "suffering" power settling or settling with power, he would have entered VRS or he would have attempted a manoeuvre with insufficient power, depending upon the circumstances which, (as should be blindingly obvious by now) are vastly different for each case.

Whaddyareckon?