PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackburn Buccaneer - Aerodynamic parameters/Flight Test results
Old 29th Sep 2023, 11:29
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that the major problem that you will have will be the landing pattern because you have no blow/BLC system. the blow cut in when the ailerons drooped through 20 degrees 12 degrees in an early mod state, and this did result in a very strong nose down pitching moment which is why the tailplane flaps were fitted and their positions were indicated in the cockpit by gauges with a black background and a yellow sector to indicate the surface position,(cheeses)and both had to move together or you would lose control in pitch and therefore, there was a mantra to be spoken after each selection "cheeses moving together, cheeses stopped "tgether also, you could not reduce power too much on the approach or else you would lose blow pressure there were 3 blow pressure gauges that you had to keep checking

but the 45-25-25 the approach speed at 20 AOA was low (127 +2KIAS/1000 lbs of fuel)from memory, sadly it has been a long time since I last flew one but unblown 45-10-10- it was 146 KIAS=+1KIAS/1000 lbs fuel.

the audio AOA system was interesting, it had a steady note when at 20 AOA i.e.. on speed for the approach plus a series of beeps if the AOA was too high .i.e. .you were too fast and a series of burps if the AOA was too high i.e. you were too slow

an interesting aside about the audio AOA, is that the British F4Ks /FG1s)had the same audio system but the beeps and burps worked in the opposite sense; I was probably one of the few pilots who ever maintained currency on both types simultaneously I had grown up on the Buccaneer so I used the audio on that but in the Phantom, I would use the steady note on the approach if it sounded but otherwise I used the AOA gauge on the approach, and at the same time I was current on the FGR2 and occasionally on the F4J(UK) neither of which had the audio system