PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot sacked for snorting coke from, err, well...and then trying to fly home.
Old 29th Sep 2023, 06:30
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Great post Megan<br />in the early days of BA we inherited a Transvestite from Cambrian who would go on drug fuelled gay binges and turn up for work in high heals. I checked in behind him in queens one day; He was wearing a navy woman’s trouser suit with a page boy haircut as my wife supported, A friend did a nightstop with him and after the crew party they broke into the hotel swimming pool which was relatively civilised affair with every one wearing swimming costumes ..he wore a polka dot bikini …those that flew with him when he wasn’t high said he flew well but a decision was made to get rid of him rather than help him and eventually they managed to fail him on the simulator.<br />In my early days we nearly crashed as the captain and probably most of the rest of the crew were still drunk from the last nights shenanigans especially the chief steward who was attempting to fly the departure in IMC - in those days it was just accepted and hidden..we had one chief steward who attempted to open the forward door in flight..was eventually put in the cockpit jump seat but on approach decided to give the captain a bear hug which ended up with the route ex captain along with P3 restraining him whilst a mate did the landing; the best bit he proved that you could land a trident and do your own throttles. The chief was sacked and died a few months later from his alcoholism, everyone new of his problem but the company never helped.<br />Never tried coke but have had family members that did; extremely difficult whilst one has got their life sorted the other nearly killed me, both had relatively privileged upbringings but social pressures led them into addictions that they couldn’t handle. One after self mutilation I tried to get help or committed - was told by the consultant psychiatrist only after three genuine suicide attempts.<br />Like alcoholics it’s often well hidden until too late.<br />

Last edited by blind pew; 1st Oct 2023 at 10:35.