PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in US vs. UK (British citizen)
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2023, 08:45
Agile

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotorbee
EASA has a list of approved flight schools outside the EU and I can not find Hillsboro.
EASA in the US is a bit unregulated, I think it works that way, (somebody correct me if I am wrong).
1/ EASA does not care the aircraft you train or pass the test on (ie. it can be a N registered based in the US, that cost less to use)
2/ a US based EASA training school is always delivering training as a branch of a EU/UK based training organization and borrow the training certificate number.
In other words it needs an established EU/UK flight school to lend its credential to the foreign US entity, so most time it does not show on the list, under its US name.
3/ An EASA examiner will have to pass your check ride. (not so many EASA examiner that are current and resident in the US)
So the school will often fly one into the US for a couple of days, when needed. I have paid for the examiner airfare and a good meal a few times to get my type rating renewed.
4/ An EASA flight instructor will have to administer the training. (not so many EASA flight instructors that are current and resident in the US, unless the school is making enought of them)

The EASA examiner cannot do the check ride if he instructed more than 25% of your training.
So you need at least 2 rated and current person holding EASA credential to have the capability to deliver EASA license in the US.
Note: Bristow in Florida was the main EASA flight school, they had enough critical mass to hold EASA (CFI and examiner) on staff
when they closed out these EASA program in the US have become quite marginal, school claiming to deliver EASA program do it base on the above go arrounds.